- Experiential Education provides a safe, nonjudgmental environment in which to face new challenges, and enhance your ability to take charge of your life or support those who work with you.
- “Experiential education is a philosophy that informs many methodologies in which facilitators purposefully engage with learners in direct experience and focused reflection in order to increase knowledge, develop skills, clarify values, and develop people’s capacity to contribute to their communities”.[Association for Experiential Education, 2019]
- Opportunity for Reflection – Reflection is an integral component of the experiential learning process. By incorporating concrete experiences with abstract concepts, and then reflecting on the outcome, students engage more regions of their brain and make true, personal connections with the material. They analyze how their actions affected the outcome, and how their outcome may have varied from other students’. This analysis helps them better understand how the concepts learned can be applied to other, varied circumstances.
Equine Assisted Learning is about discovering and learning how you show up in the world. It is about your personal growth and development so you can gain new insight and develop your skills, aptitudes and passions. It is not therapy.
- Immediately apply what you have learned to real life situations.
- Test, experiment and adapt what you have learned to achieve your best outcomes.
- Access to real-time coaching and feedback from a qualified educator and coach.
- Develop your verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- An integral component of experiential learning is reflection- by working through activities with the horses, and then reflecting on the outcome, you engage more regions of your brain and make true, personal connections with what you have learned.
- See your improvement and know you have improved. Contributes to accentuating positive thinking and problem solving.
- People who value a personalized learning experience.
- People who are open to experimenting with trial and error, learning from their mistakes, and move forward with new insight.
- Lack of confidence – horses are big and powerful creating a natural and safe opportunity for you to overcome this obstacle. Confronting a fear and working through it can leave us feeling empowered and ready to take on other intimidating situations in life.
- Improve self-awareness. Horses are animals of prey and as such are hyper vigilant toward their environment. Horses sense and tune into non-verbal communication. They sense the emotions that humans try to hide but is evident in our non-verbal communication. Horses are like a mirror, reflecting to people what is happening to them in terms of their internal emotional and psychological processes. Horses can help you to identify and explore feelings that were previously unknown or unacknowledged.
- Establish your boundaries and be aware of the boundaries of others – horses set very clear boundaries and maintain them respectfully providing us with good examples of how we can stand up for ourselves and avoid escalating conflict.
- Build your relationships with others and yourself – horses do not know how to lie, or judge, nor do they lay blame. Horses demonstrate how to be in a non-judgemental relationship where you can build up your self-esteem and trust.
- Communication – Are you being heard? Consider the following:
Words (the literal meaning) account for 7% of the overall message
Tone of voice accounts for 38% of the overall message
Body Language accounts for 55% of the overall message
Nonverbal communication becomes the most powerful mode of communication when conveying feelings or attitudes.
Our clients benefit from the power and wisdom of horses to rid themselves of barriers to create the life they deserve.
- Break through obstacles and truly live
- Gain self awareness and find their voice
- Set boundaries and find their voice
Horses reflect who you are, and how you show up, absent the story you might tell yourself. This liberates potential and possibilities to enhance a fulfilling life and / or career.
Horses will help you discover:
- Your power
- Self awareness
- Boundaries – find their voice
- Communication – non verbal; body language/cues
Horses are non-judgmental. To them, it doesn’t matter who you are. If fearful, they respond appropriately and get back to safety – back to grazing and do not stay stuck – demonstrate courage. They allow clients to explore their fears in a safe non judgmental learning environment.